Monday, November 24, 2014

The Prayer Shawl

6 1/2 years ago, I was lying in a hospital bed with a broken leg and the baby on the way.  We knew that somewhere, there were people lifting us up, placing us in God's hand from the time of impact and every minute that followed.

Days after the accident, our director of pastoral care entered my room holding a simple piece crafted out of a faint blue fibre. She explained to me that this was a prayer shawl, created by one of our congregation.  It had been knit with love and prayer, and as I wrapped it around me it was a physical representation of God's loving arms, holding me tight. 

* * * *

Three years ago, our family lost one of the best men I have ever known and loved, my Pappy. While we all grieved this loss, no one felt it as deeply as my mother. 

As a daughter, I knew there was nothing I could do to take this grief off of her shoulders, but the desire to bring her comfort was so incredibly strong. It was then that I recalled the comfort that I had experienced in the form of my own prayer shawl, so I resolved to create one for her that I hoped would bring her the same feeling of peace when wrapped around her heavy shoulders that mine had brought me. 

* * * * 

In this time of thanks and joy, it is important to remember that there are many out there grieving, grappling with pain and seeking peace. 

I would encourage my fellow yarnies, from novice to master, to consider the prayer shawl ministry. You may contact your local church, synagogue or temple to inquire about their participation in this ministry and how you can take part. 

Your shawl does not need to be fancy. It does not need to be intricate. It just needs be crafted with love and prayer. 


For more information on how you can participate in the prayer shawl ministry, visit The Shawl Ministry website or contact your own place of worship. 


Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Phil. 4:6-7. 


No comments:

Post a Comment